Wednesday, March 2, 2011

30 Lessons Learned, #21: Swatches are a Girl's Best Friend



I have a drawer full of watercolor swatches. These are palettes that I've used for previous paintings and/or just colors that I've mixed together and like. The colors in each swatch are noted in abbreviations because I tend to forget what I've used. These swatches are a great starting point for paintings. When I'm first considering the mood of an illustration, I'll often empty this drawer in front of me and start picking through for colors and combinations that give the right feel. Also, because this particular project is multi-page, it helped me to hang swatches/color palettes with the sketches (all over my walls) so I could see how the various color palettes work together.

A quick side note: I was the winner of a fabulous onesie from Joy Nevada's Etsy shop. Her illustrations are whimsical and suited perfectly to apparel for little ones. Thank you, Nevada! 

7 comments:

Heather said...

that's such a great idea! have a great day!

Jane said...

It's interesting how different colour palettes give a different feel, your swatch on the right hand side of your photo looks like a spring day..how apt!
Happy Wednesday!

Shirley said...

Bethanie, I'm learning SO much from you! Thank you!! I love your recent posts - from the wonderful images of Buglette (amazingly sweet and adorable) to the posts about your new favorite watercolor colors. You are so talented and it's so awesome to get to see your wonderful work. I can't wait til the book comes out! Hugs to you and your big red dog too! : )

judith said...

That's such a good idea! It's often so difficult to try to re-create colours from memory.
I also love your creative style and I'm enjoying your series of 'lessons learned' - they're inspiring, interesting and extremely useful.
So thanks, and keep up the good work!

Jill Bergman said...

I bet those swatches hanging all over your walls look really neat!!

Bethanie Murguia said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments everyone! I love reading them. :)

Cherish Flieder said...

I love your collection. I do this as well, it is a hard practice to stop after working in apparel. A wonderful way to track beautiful color ideas. Thanks for sharing.