Wednesday, April 13, 2011

30 Lessons Learned, #27: Order Up (Restaurant Supplies for the Illustrator)

Technically, I learned about these gadgets after I finished Buglette. But, they are just so awesome that I have to let people know. If I'm the last one to this party and you all have had these in your studios forever, well, then please humor me. :)

These are slide order racks -- yes, the contraptions in diners that seem to magically hold orders in the air. It just so happens that you can get them in various lengths and they hold art, too. What could be more perfect for multi-page work? You can see everything at once, move images around easily and you don't have to deal with tape or any other nonsense of the sort. I think they are filled with marbles. Maybe magical marbles. If you choose not to hang them on the wall and just play with them instead, they are the loudest rain sticks you have ever encountered. (Sorry about the ugly, ugly flash photography.)

6 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Great find. And so nice to have it serve as a rain stick, too!

Jill Bergman said...

Great idea, Bethanie! Where did you get them?

Jane said...

Isn't it always the way that you find something that would have made a project easier JUST when you have finished! Never mind Bethanie that looks like a fab find for future work.
Happy Wednesday,
Jane x

Bethanie Murguia said...

I found them at restockit.com: aluminum slide order racks. (They have stainless steel too.)

Sue Pownall said...

Interesting idea.

Matthew Gauvin said...

That looks like it would work great for me! I used to work with oils but used a clothesline with bulldog clips and wooden clothespins to hang the drawings. Now that I use watercolors I had been trying to come up with a way to display all the art while it's being worked on. I would be afraid to leave it out all the time for some of the reasons you mentioned in one fo your posts. I generally tuck them all into a special made cardboard envelope and tuck that behind some drawing pads up where the cats won't get into them. But it's great to hav e away to look at them without putting tack holes and tape all over them. Thansk for sharing.
I just spent soem time reading througha few pages worth of posts and enjoyed hearing your take on all of this. I wish i had a blog back when I did my first book, all the stories i could have told,haha. Thanks for sharing your insights!