I’ve really missed blogging though, so I’ve come up with a simple way to keep at it. As I make my way down this author/illustrator path, my career continues to surprise me with new and wonderful things at every turn. Life, too. Let’s just call these “firsts”. So, on the first of each month, I thought I’d post a list of the past month’s “firsts”. In no particular order, here we go:
- First storyboard drafts for two (TWO!) book trailers
- First set of thumbnails for a new (phenomenal, wonderful, fantastic) book that I will be illustrating
- On a related note: first contract to illustrate someone else’s picture book (cue the thumping of my heart, both out of love for the manuscript and terror about doing it justice)
- First draft of a new Zoe book
- First day of first grade for my daughter
- First time our thermostat exceeded 90 degrees. Indoors, people.
- First ever meeting with a TV producer (I'm in LA so it was only a matter of time)
- First time running the Santa Monica stairs (FYI, Santa Monica sissies, your stairs are NOTHING compared to my Sausalito stairs)
- First draft of an accordion book for a personal project
- First time I’ve completed a homemade Halloween costume in August. Let’s hope she doesn’t outgrow it before October.
|In many ways, Snippet was an ordinary snail. He drew on the sidewalk.|